Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Warehouse 13

Warehouse 13 made it's debut on the rebranded SyFy Channel last night. While I was not looking forward to the rebranding of the channel, I have been eagerly looking forward to the new series. And while I can easily criticize the direction of the channel and the fact that it tends to play third-rate horror and cheesy science fiction and fantasy made-for-TV movies, it generally does do a very good job at good new series. And so I looked forward to this new series with baited breath, despite reading some people criticizing it long before it aired as something that the SyFy Channel would likely ruin and poorly execute.

I have to admit to missing the first 15 minutes of the show, so I'm not sure if I missed anything really important (other than the fact that Myka Bering and Peter Lattimer--the two main characters--were on opposite sides of the action during a Presidential visit to a musuem), though for the first two hours of the show, Myka and Pete continued to get to know each other and learn about the other. I started watching the show just as the two show up at Warehouse 13 in South Dakota.

It didn't take long to realize, however, that there was something vaguely familiar about the premise of the show as it was unfolding. Two government agents, one an excited male agent who seemed to embrace the aspect of his job, and a skeptical, unenthusiastic female agent who balances out the other. Government cover-ups. Unusual and bizarre actions that can be explained by using the unexplained. I think we all know which other TV show this sounds like. Myka and Pete have an added gadget, though, that the other two government agents didn't have--a neutralizer, which only brought to mind aspects of the Ghostbusters, emptying ectoplasm into a storage container to transport it. Warehouse 13 also brings to mind something out of Wild, Wild West....all of their nifty gadgets seem to come straight out of the 1950s in their appearance, despite their being capable of things that we currently don't have the technology to do--or at least that hasn't really been mass produced and available on the open market. Even the keyboard Artie Nielsen (the agent in charge of Warehouse 13) uses for his computer seems to have a very antique look to it. I realize that this was all done on purpose--to make it seem that these items were actually invented at an earlier time and not necessarily coming from outer space, and to give them more of a musuem feel to it, and to make it seem like Warehouse 13 is something that has been going on for some time now. And maybe that concept will work. Maybe it won't. Only time will tell in that regard.

I will give Warehouse 13 more time to work it's magic on me before I decide whether or not it is something that I will use my time on. While the characters of Pete and Myka seem to be an over-used stereotype, and I'm not entirely sold on the character of Artie, I am a bit intrigued by the other supporting characters and what role they will play as the series matures.


0 comments: